Okay, you got me.
I’m not really an expert.
But I’ve always been a woman open to dating any man who happened to catch my fancy.
I don’t limit my dating pool based on race.
Never have, never will.
I guess I’m progressive for a black woman.
I have dated men of various races, religions and cultures.
And somewhere along the way I have been dubbed the “expert” on interracial dating by my girlfriends.
So in keeping with my title,
I present 6 tips for succesful interracial dating:
- BE OPEN – Not only to the idea of dating a man of a different race but also to doing things that you might not be use to. Keep an open mind to new cuisines, dancing styles and any other new things that your date might suggest.
- STOP STEREOTYPING – I know black people like to point the finger at others when it comes to stereotyping but, if we are honest then we know that we do it too. So, before you box that caucasian/hispanic/asian man in, give him a chance to show you who he actually is.
- DON’T WORRY ABOUT ANYBODY ELSE – Yes, some people might not like the idea of you dating outside of your race. But, in the end does it matter? I mean really? As long as you are happy and being respected and cared for, that is truly all that matters. So if his momma and your auntie can’t seem to get over their issues, all I can say is chuck up some deuces. As long as the two of you are content and can separate outside feelings from your relationship, then it’s all good.
- TRY NOT TO BE TOO SENSITIVE – Remember that just like you, your date may not be as familiar with your race or culture. They may make mistakes or even say something that isn’t quite politically correct. But if you can tell that their heart is in the right place and they are trying to be open and honest with you, then perhaps a little slack should be cut.
- DON’T FORGET YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR – Without fail you are going to find yourself in some crazy situations/conversations. Not only with your date but possibly also with outsiders. So keep that sense of humor handy. A little humor can often diffuse an uncomfortable situation.
- HAVE FUN – Remember to have a good time. Dating is supposed to be enjoyable. Yes, you are keeping your eye open for a potential partner but don’t turn this into a job. Enjoy getting to know different people, cultures, lifestyles.
I hope my little tips help any of you who are thinking of taking the plunge and expanding your dating horizons.
If you currently (or in the past) have dated outside of your race, please share any tips or thoughts you think might be useful. Or if you give interracial dating a try after reading this post, please come back and share your story.